Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Mrs Martineau's Winter Reading Challenge

Shadow by Micheal Morpurgo - Loved it!


Hi Randerson students, parents and staff. I hope you are having a wonderful holiday break and enjoying time with family and friends.  I was thrilled to have some quiet time today to sit on the couch and read <3.  My 12-year-old daughter was reading Insurgent, a book she got for Christmas, my 11-year-old daughter was playing on her new guitar while I read Shadow by Michael Morpurgo. 

I highly recommend this book for students Gr. 4-7.  It's the story of a young boy Aman and his mother who endure great pain, suffering and hardships while forced to flee their home in Afghanistan.  While hiding in a cave in the mountains they befriend a stray dog whom Aman names Shadow.  This story is told mostly in flashbacks from the point of view of Aman. Matt, Aman's best friend and Matt's Grandpa also weigh in on the story from their perspective.  It is a story of courage, perseverance and determination. It's a story of friendship and the power to believe and its a story of the love of a dog and a boy. 

This is now the third book I've read by Michael Morpurgo ~ Kensuke's Kindgom, Butterfly Lion and now Shadow.  I really like his style of writing, his storytelling and his great character development. Michael often has added features at the end of his books that give background on the characters, setting or muse for his stories. With Shadow, I was very interested in reading about the real Yarl's Wood immigration removal centre in Bedfordshire, UK and how in 2010 the UK Government ordered it closed. I also enjoyed learning about army sniffer dogs, and the important role they play in saving lives.    Happy reading!  I'll see you in 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment