Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mrs. Noesgaard's K's know what they like!

Today we looked at two books Me Hungry by Jeremy Tankard and Art's Supplies by Chris Tougas. 
After reading each book, the students shared their favourite parts of the story.  We wrote everyone's ideas down on our chart. 

Our kindergarten students were excellent detectives, picking out great details in each book.
 
 
 
After a lively discussion on what they liked about each book...and boy did they like each book... we took an opinion poll. 
 
Our first poll/survey asked :Did you like Me Hungry?  14 students voted yes
                                             Did you like Art's Supplies? 16 students voted yes
 
From our first poll we were able to determine that the majority of the class liked both books :)
 
Our second poll/survey asked:  Did you like Me Hungry best?  8 students said yes
                                                   Did you like Art's Supplies best?  12 students said yes
 
Students learned about liking a book vs choosing the best book of the two

 
We talked about how strong and powerful it is to have an opinion and that there are no wrong answers in an opinion poll.  We talked about how an opinion is even stronger when supported by evidence, in this case their reasons for liking the book.  Students were excited to vote and offer their opinion.  As expected many students rushed to take out both books.  They also were keen to offer their opinion on many other books in our library.  
 
Thank you Mrs. Noesgaard's kindergarten class for your wonderful opinions and enthusiastic discussion.  You made my day!
 
P.S.
Mrs. Martineau was introduced to Pinterest this past weekend. My 13 and 15 year-old daughters love this site and thought I might like it too.  Although I had signed up for it more than a year ago, I had never taken the time to learn how to optimize its usage. Actually, I had never taken the time to use it in any way.  Thankfully my girls can teach me a lot about cool tools. 


We began by setting up boards and adding pins.  It was fun and a great way to spend time with my daughters.  I started with looking up ideas for snacks for our upcoming book club and this led to looking up fun, curriculum based ideas to do with books and young students.  The above lesson is one I found on pinterest courtesy of
 teachingace.com.  Thank you teachingace it was a great lesson!
Thank you Paige and Delaney for showing me this cool tool. I love to learn new things. <3
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment